Backgrounds: The World Association of Integrated Medicine (WAIM) and its basic units as Prashanti Medical Care Institute (PMCI), Indian Foundation for Development of Integrated Medicine (IFDIM) and International Council of Integrated Medicine (IIMC) had following had laid the important landmarks.
(A). Meeting of Dr N. P. Dubey and Prof. K.N. Udupa at point with same aims and objective for develop the integrated medicine. They form a small group of likeminded people for the cause of integrated medicine.
(B). Definition of integrated medicine: As “Combination of modern medicine and traditional medicine together and development of its teaching, training, treatment, research and national implementation (WAIN – 1990).
(C). On June 28, 1990, they decided to initiate an institution of integrated medicine for implementation of the education. Thereafter, following plan was made time to time.
- Establishment of Institutions of Integrated Medicine of various levels.
- Development of undergraduate and postgraduate level course and curriculum.
- Establishment of Indian Foundation for Development of Integrated Medicine for maintaining the academic controls over the institutions.
- Establishment of International Integrated Medicine Council (IIMC) for registering the candidates of Integrated Medicine and others allied sciences.
- Efforts to get National and International recognition form Government organization and non government organizations (NGOs).
- National and International efforts for promotion of Integrated Medicine.
Implementation Landmarks: The Implementation landmarks is divided in two groups-
I. Institutional Approach
II. Academic Approach
I. INSTITUTIONAL APPROACH:
These approaches are concern with various National and International institutions for getting the system recognized. The following approaches have been made so for.
- Prashanti Medical Care Institute (PMCI), Varanasi was initiated 1990 and got registered in February 1991.
- Divine Sri Sathya Sai Baba blessed the programme on December 28, 1992 at Prashanti Nilayam, Puttaperthy, Anantpur, AP.
- Indian Foundation for Development of integrated Medicine (IFDIM) was registered in May 1992 with the aims and objectives to promote integrated medicine throughout the country.
- First organized prospectus of Prashanti Medical Care Institute (PMCI) was released on June 28, 1992 for BIMS and Medico technical courses.
- Dr. Kin Shein, Former, Director EDV, South East Asia Regional Office, (SEARO), World Health Organization (WHO) discussed and appreciated as “Right steps for Holistic Health Care Delivery to the Community” on November 27, 1992..
- The programme of IFDIM and PMCI was made available to H. E. Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma, the then President of India, the then Prime Minister, Health Minister, Minister for Human Resource Development, Government of India and World Health Organization on November 26, 1992.
- Private Secretary of the President of India of forwarded the project to Union Health Minister of India..
- Union Health Minister acknowledged that the of IFDIM for its evaluation..
- World Association of Integrated Medicine came in existence on November 30, 1993 in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Indian Foundation for Development of Integrated Medicine got Affiliation Status with Medicina Alternativa The Open International University, Colombo, Sri Lanka in November, 1993.
- The programme has been supported, blessed and encouraged by Former H.E. Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma and H. E. Shri K.R. Narayanan, both Former President of India; Former Union Health Ministers Shri M.L. Fotedar and Shri B. Shankaranand; Hon‘ble Shri Chandra Shekhar, Former Prime Minister of India; Hon‘ble Shri A.B. Bajpai, Prime Minister of India; Hon’ ble Shri L.K. Advani, Deputy Prime Minister of India; HE Shri Moti Lal Vora, Former Governor of U.P., World Health Organization, Rajiv Gandhi Foundation and many other politicians, social workers, administrators, scientists, academicians, government and non-government organization (GOs and NGOs) of India and abroad.
- H.E. Shri Moti Lal Vora, Former Governor of U.P. visited Prashanti Medical Care Institute, Varanasi on 28th June, 1994 and expressed his views on integrated medical system of treatment and appreciated the steps initiated by Indian Foundation for Development of Integrated Medicine (IFDIM) and Prashanti Medical Care Institute PMCI, Varanasi. He assured for all possible helps.
- The entire programme was referred to World Health Organization HQ at Geneva, Switzerland where Dr. N.P. Dubey discussed the detailed programme with Dr. Xiaorui Zhang, Medical Officer, Traditional Medicine on 1st and 2nd March 1995 in World Health Organization HQ at Geneva, Switzerland..
- The IFDIM requested for the Pioneer ship of the Integrated Medicine through Indian Foundation for development of Integrated Medicine to Prime Minister from whom the matter has been refer to Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- H.E. Shri Moti Lal Vora, former Governor of U.P. accorded the sanction of Faculty of Medical Sciences to Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapeeth, Varanasi (a State University of Uttar Pradesh, Established under UGC Act ) vide letter No.979/GS dated 25.4.1996 having provision of Modern medicine, Dental Medicine, Integrated Medicine, Alternative Medicine and Medico-technical Courses.
- Governor wrote for Affiliation of Prashanti Medical Care Institute Varanasi for issuing the Degree from MGKV University.
- First Statute of Mahatma Gandhi Kashi Vidyapith (MGKV) University having Faculty of Medical Science and Integrated Medicine.
- World Association of Integrated Medicine (WAIM was registered by Registrar of Societies, Government of Delhi in 1996.
- International Integrated Medicine Council (IIMC) was registered by Registrar of Societies, Government of Delhi in 1996.
- On December 1st 1996, the important resolutions were resolved by the governing bodies of India Foundation for Development of Integrated Medicine (IFDIN): International Integrated Medicine Council (IIMC) to work under administration of World Association of Integrated Medicine (WAIM).
- The write up on Integrated Medicine was accepted and published by World Health Organization as - World Health Forum titled” Integrated Medicine, Many Approach - One Service in Vol. 18, Year 1997, P.56-58.
- World Association of Integrated Medicine (WAIM), was affiliated with World University, Arizona, USA in December 1998.
- On December 3rd 1998 the entire programme was discussed with Dr. John C. Chah, Programme Officer, Office of Complementary and Alternative Medicine, National Institute of Health (NIH) MD, USA.
- The programme was discussed with Dr. G. Bodekar, Chairman Gifts of Health, Health Service Research Unit, University of Oxford, and London..
- The Secretary to H.E. K. R. Narayanan, Former President of India forwarded the communication to Government of India, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare New Delhi..
- The World Association of Integrated Medicine has received the Copyright from Government of India for the Profile of course of World Association of Integrated Medicine.
- The World Association of Integrated Medicine has received the Copyright from Government of India for “International Integrated Medicine Council.
- International integrated Medical Forum (IIMF) a Quarterly Journal has got the Certificate of Registration from Government of India, Registrar of News papers of India in 2003.
- Dr. N. P. Dubey, Attended Working Group Meeting on Quality of Academic Education in Traditional Medicine held from 22 to 24 November 2003, in Melbourne, Australia as an Advisor to WHO from India. The meeting was called by World Health Organization, West Pacific Region Office (W’PRO), Manila, Philippines.
- Based on the academic works in the field if Integrated Medicine, Dr. N. P. Dubey got Immigrant Visa for United State of America where he established AUM Foundation LLC. NY, USA.
II. ACADEMIC APPROACH:
These approaches are concern with various National and International academic activities related to the system. This led in getting the popularization of the system globally. So for, we have organized and attended the following conferences, seminars and national and international discussions.
- First International academic Programme on Integrated Medicine (FIAPIM-95) was organization from 5th to 12th November 1995 in Swatantrata Bhavan, Banaras Hindu University U.P., India with great appreciation where the first edition of this book on “Principles of Integrated Medicine”, was released. This academic conference was of great success.
- The International Conference on Integrated Medicine (ICIM-96) was Organization in Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi from 1st to 3rd November 1996 with great success.
- World Conference on Integrated Medicine (WCIM-97) held in Banaras Hindu University from 7th to 9th November 1997 and was attended by many representatives of modern and traditional medicine of India and abroad and was with a grand success.
- The Universal Conference on Integrated Medicine (UCIM-98) was organized in the National Capital of India from 6th to 8th November-1998 at Indian Medical Association, Head Quarter, New Delhi.
- Integrated Medicine for New Millennium (IMNM-99) was organized from 12th to 14th November 1999 at New Delhi.
- Millennial Conference on Integrated medicine (MCIM-2000) was organized from 10th to 12th November 2000 at New Delhi.
- Global Conference on Integrated Medicine (GCIM-2001) held on 3rd and 4th November 2001 at New Delhi. The Guest of Honour was Padmshree Dr. Ranjeet Roy Chaudhary. He appreciated the steps of World Association of Integrated Medicine and described as WAIM is ahead the time.
- Dr. N.P. Dubey, Founder President, World Association of Integrated Medicine, attended 2nd World Integrative Medicine Conference (WIMCO-2002) at Beijing, China from 22nd to 24th September 2002 where he presented the paper titled “Integrated Medicine as Universal System” and Chaired the session.
- Dr. N.P. Dubey was nominated as member of Scientific Committee of WIMCO-2002.
- Organized International Academia on Integrated Medicine (IAIM-2003), at Indian Medical Association, H Q, New Delhi in December 2003 to discuss the progress of the Integrated Medicine.
- Attended the World Congress on Integrated Medicine (WCIM-2004) held in Colombo, Sri Lanka and presented the Paper on Role of Integrated Medicine in developing countries.
- Dr. N.P. Dubey, established his company as AUM Organization INC, in New York, USA for Integrated Health and Holistic Care (IHHC) in February 2007.
- Attended International Integrated Medicine Conference (IIMC-2010) at Dhaka, Bangladesh, to encourage the integration of Unani Medicine and Herbal Medicine.
- Attended World Association of Vedic Society Conference (WAVES-2010) at St. Augustine, Trinidad & Tobago and Presented the paper based on Holistic aspects of Integrated Healing.
- Organized Academia on Integrated Holistic Medicine in collaboration with AUM Organization INC., NY, USA.
- Attended ICOM 2012 at Seoul, South Korea from 14th to 16th September 2012 and presented the paper titled Integrated Medicine as Global System.
- Attended the 46th National Conference of Indian College of Allergy, Asthma and Applied Immunology held at Banaras Hindu University from 2nd to 4th November 2012 and presented the paper tiled Holistic Dimension of Integrated Medicine.
- Organized Integrated Holistic Healing Seminar (IHHS) on 3rd May 2013 in Collaboration with AUM Foundation to discuss on Integrated Holistic Care, at New York, USA.
- Organized Integrated Health Workshop (IHW) on 20th July2014 in Collaboration with AUM Foundation at New York, USA.
- Organized Seminar Integrated Diagnostic Holistic Parameters (IDHP) on 20th May 2015 in Collaboration with AUM Foundation at New York, USA.
- Organized Conference on Integrated Holistic Approach (CIHA) on 20th June 2016 in Collaboration with AUM Foundation at New York, USA.
- Organized Seminar on Integrated Holistic Care (SIHC) on 20th July 2017 in Collaboration with AUM Foundation at Philadelphia, PA, USA.